Pages

Sunday 14 September 2014

Finding Fanny..Please watch it in English!

Pic Courtesy: Wikipedia

Before I even begin to write a review about this movie, I must say I haven’t really watched it. Having got the tickets in a hurry online, I made a mistake watching a “Dubbed in Hindi Version”. I can imagine the dialogues and the original script were all primarily drafted and directed in English, hence the voice-over kills the experience to an extent.  Given that the movie is a satirical comedy , I was a bit disappointed since I missed out on the original jokes that were delivered in english, however the slapstick components made up for it. Despite the deep regret of not watching the real thing, you cannot miss on two very strong aspects about the movie. Numero UNO to the story telling of Homi Adajania, I personally can’t wait for him to publish a book now. Secondly, as expected the amazing cast of the movie, I just can’t imagine either being replaced. The senior actors were a joy to watch and for someone who loved Jaane Bhi Do Yaroon, this was a must watch for the sake of nostalgia and reverence.

I read a couple of reviews and many commentaries calling it a  “simple story”, on the contrary it’s only the plot that was simple,  is what I thought with five really complicated characters in a small boring Goan village living a life of ennui -  A young widow, Angie (Deepika Padukone), an old overly depressed postman,  Ferdie (Nasserudin Shah),  a mechanic, Savio(Arjun Kapoor), a pompous artist (Pankaj Kapur), and the haughty Rosie,“ (Dimple Kapadia).  Angie wants to help Ferdie find his long lost love Fanny, and thus begins journey to find Fanny. The other characters join in as well,  and it turns out as one hilarious journey towards finding themselves.  There are a few hidden secrets that connect the characters and unfold as the story progresses. The movie of course ends when Fanny is finally found(sorry I broke the suspense!), and also with a rather sweet message about finding love where you are, than waiting for it forever

I am going to watch the English version soon, perhaps detailed comments then, so well I am writing just so that you don’t go watch it in Hindi ;)

4 comments:

  1. Fortunately I saw the same in English... And yes seeing in the originally made format is better!!! My sympayhies are wirh you.good review as gud as the movie itself. Lovely review...as good as the film itself. Your review is cool- told the story but not leaked out all secrets and script. Naseeruddin shah, I agree has played Ferdie with conviction. I think seeing the film in English is better otherwise it is difficult to get the quirky jokes and sense of humor... Check out my review on
    http://shahensworld.blogspot.in/2014/09/finding-five-stars-what-do-you-expect.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shaheen for your kind and insightful comments. I am going to watch the movie in English soon, perhaps an update soon after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Rachna but its Shahen.. Its OK many ppl have dia confusion!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh sorry Shahen :), BTW I watched the movie in English today and am glad I did!

    ReplyDelete